Our Waldhotel was built between 1936 and 1939 by the Pößneck rose brewery, originally under the name “Günthers Heil”. As a hotel and restaurant with a fantastic view of the Hohenwarte reservoir, guests of the hotel enjoyed the quiet, idyllic location close to nature.
During the Second World War, the hotel and restaurant business had to be discontinued because the site, due to its strategic location, now served as a Wehrmacht base for air defense, to protect the dam from enemy air raids. In the meantime, the building was used for a while as a maternity home for women by Wehrmacht officers.
After the end of the war and until expropriation by the former GDR, the building was finally used as an excursion restaurant. From 1948 to 1952 it was transformed into the company holiday home of the Maxhütte Unterwellenborn. From 1952 to 1990, the facility, called “Activist”, served as a recreational home for the Free German Trade Union Federation. In the meantime, the conversion and expansion of the facility with forty-two bungalows and the expansion of the hotel have taken place.
From 1991 to 1993, the facility was managed by the trust and finally transferred back to the Wagner family on July 1, 1993.
In the course of the last few years, the hotel has been continuously modernized and the new comfortable chalets have been built on the hotel premises.